Wednesday, March 4

The Bar Exam

Before my phone's 5:30 am "harp" could wake me for my 6:15 gym class Tuesday morning, I had more on my mind than when I'm multitasking during dinner prep at 5:30 in the evening. Hypothetical Question: How much more pleasant would the world be if an 'Angel of the Lord' was sent to us each morning, perched on the moon, strumming a heavenly harp or sounding a trumpet to awaken us all from our slumber? Imagine the Dreamworks logo with a cherub-like image in place of the child fishing... Awwwe!

Ok, ok, back to my original topic. The previous day, the Moms' Group bible study I attend discussed cultural distractions in regards to raising Christlike children. The subject of materialism and societal pressures came up, so I voiced my on-going, internal debate regarding which educational format to pursue for our family. Keep in mind, Kinsey is only two and a half, however, our society places extreme importance on educational requirements (i.e. standardized tests) and has successfully managed to create an educational-arms race out of it. In conjunction, the current economic "crisis" has only added to the universal stress of the 'survival of the fittest' ideology, as well as to the expense (either monetary or abstract) of such advantages.

Apparently, in my dream, we had decided to thoroughly investigate the private school option. So, there we are... Brad, myself, and Kinsey all three dressed in uniform (looking sooo cute in plaid, pleated skirts with Brad in a sweater vest and tie, much like an Lawrence Welk Show trio), attending a "try-out" class for prospective students (or was it for the parents). REALLY!?!? I mean, I LOVE the idea of uniformity, but this is absurd, Angela. I distinctly recall driving from school to school, weighing the differences in cost, class structure and discipline, not to mention the orderliness of the uniforms. If this doesn't represent my [visual] emphasis on details, then I don't know what does... probably alluding to societal perceptions as well, but who isn't guilty of this??? Everyone demonstrates it differently through transportation, homes, ownership of land or objects, physical appearance, activities, etc. So, if I would prefer for my children to receive a Christian-based education, then why am I fearful about succumbing to materialistic pressures???

The question of societal pressures can be applied to other [pro-active] commitments as well: an organic diet or "going green." Due to the associated stigmas, it all costs more. I understand the concept of supply and demand (blah, blah, blah), but if we are knowingly consuming or doing things that produce negative results to our health or environment, then shouldn't the "punishment" (i.e. additional cost) be on those instead? Or, the "reward" (i.e. tax cut) given to the manufacturers, who comply with more humane standards, and passed down to the distributors, who should then be required to pass the savings onto their loyal customers. For example, I visited a personal 'hell on Earth' (aka Walmart) the other day to purchase a few items, one being inkjet paper. I compared two options manufactured by the same company, created for the same purpose and identical in size, weight, brightness, and amount. The only difference being that the higher priced one contained '30% Post-Consumer Fibers' the marketing term for trash people!!! But, I digress...

The dream had such an impact on my psyche; not only did I begin to experience anxiety concerning Kinsey and preschool enrollment, but in addition to dropping her off at Mothers' Day Out, I requested a packet from the program's receptionist. Got to get geared up for that race, right?!?! At the end of the day, I need to remind myself that [ultimately] the end result is out of my control...

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6

And... there is also a child's "free will" to consider. Our lil' reader, who enjoys selecting books throughout the house, pretending to sit and read them aloud, may have plans of her own someday. A few weeks ago, I found her getting a jump-start on studying for the "Bar Exam..."

1 comments:

Deziray Click said...

That picture of Kinsey made me laugh out loud!!

Even though there is free will we must teach and guide our childen, so do not be too hard on yourself for thinking about your options this soon..

Proverbs 22:6 Teach child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.

Deut. 11: 18-19 18 Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 19 18 Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 19 Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 20 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates, 21 so that your days and the days of your children may be many in the land that the LORD swore to give your forefathers, as many as the days that the heavens are above the earth. TEACH them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 20 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates, 21 so that your days and the days of your children may be many in the land that the LORD swore to give your forefathers, as many as the days that the heavens are above the earth.